Thursday, March 25, 2010

A NEW CONUNDRUM FOR RESEARCHERS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/265900118/

Genealogists have always come up against brick walls. They hammer away brick by brick to find their elusive ancestors. To find that piece of information that will get them to that next step, next generation. 

So here is the conundrum for future researchers. You are looking at a family and there are two children in the family. They are 2 months apart in age. You start to question this because one surely must be adopted. You hunt and hunt for an explanation but sure enough the records show they are that close in age. You look for a sibling of the parents who may have died leaving their baby with their brother or sister. Nope. No luck. 

I  was just watching the news and they showed a family who had twin boys. One of these babies was born prematurely, the other was carried for 2 more months and was delivered then. They were born 63 days apart. 

Oh how we are going to pull our hair out over these puzzles. 

6 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

I am acquainted with a family with a pair of twins such as this (they would be in their 40s by now), so I am aware that this can happen. It appears that it could become even more common, so perhaps future genealogists will be familiar with the phenomenon.

Julie said...

Wow, I've never heard of that! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Oh Wow,that's pretty interesting. I'll be sure to keep that in mind while I look up my ancesty.

A rootdigger said...

When I see your clever photos, I laugh. My my you are clever. I can't steal your ideas if were on the follow list together. tee hee.

A rootdigger said...

And not forgetting your post. It does seem amazing, It is wonderful what medicine can do for us now. Still we must keep preserving.

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/